Monday, April 11, 2011

Testing on Old Equipment

One of the most stressful times of year for me personally is MAP Testing.  Not because of the usual high stakes testing our kids reason, but because of the fact I have the Map Database existing on the same file server that we use for our authentication, AD, basically everything that the network does.

First shame shame shame on me for allowing the network to be this way, I know, its a very poor job by me on planning and maintaining.  However, in my defense, up until this past year, it was on the newest/best(?) server in my farm.  Not the case anymore and that will be changing this summer as I either put it on my xserve or my server08 box.

What is stressful is that no matter the amount of planning, setting up, going over notes from previous years (I actually have done that for MAP Testing) I woke up this morning with a sense of overall dread and despair that something fatal is going to happen to my server this week.

I arrived at school early this morning to be greeted with, "internet is down."  A palpitation, but nothing to major, its just internet, could be the firewall, ISP, switches,  power or lack there of.  I get to the server, and yep, server is froze up in restart mode.

To quote the great Eugene Levy, "What a week I am having!"

No comments:

Post a Comment